Monday, August 20, 2012

Addiction and Our Bodies

Introduction

Hello, bonjour, hallo, buon giorno, hola, tja! Well if you're not someone who can speak five or more languages, I'll tell you what I just said was hello (you probably could have figured that one out just by the first word of this post but I like to keep things fresh.) I started this post like that because it has something to do with our discussion today. Similar to how in every part of the world, there is a way to greet someone and say hello, there are people throughout the world of different nationalities who experience addiction in different ways. However, no matter the drug, the person, the place, or the situation, at the end of the day we are all fighting one thing; addiction. Addiction doesn't discriminate nor does it has its favorites. Anyone can become addicted to something at some point or another. Some of us might be addicted to something for a short period of time before being able to straighten out while others are stuck addicted to something till the day they leave this earth. It sucks, is sad, and unfortunate but it's the way things are. Man, did this post turn gloomy quick.

The topic of this post is how addiction effects us and how certain factors can also play an impact towards one developing an addiction to something. Wait a minute, didn't I just say that addiction doesn't discriminate? Well, I did and I wasn't lying when I said that either. Anyone can develop an addiction to something from the richest to the poorest, the most mentally stable to the least, the nicest to the meanest, the smartest to the dumbest, and..., well you get my point. Addiction doesn't discriminate. However, there are other factors that DO come into play in whether someone does or does not develop an addiction. Think of it like the lottery. Anyone can win the lottery as long as they purchase at least one ticket. But someone who purchases more tickets than someone else has a greater chance of winning the lottery (although still an extremely slim chance). Well, anyone can develop an addiction but some appear to be at greater risk (higher chance) of developing one than others. Some people can be try a drug once and never even think of using it again. Others can be what many call weekend warriors, people who get high only on weekends. Others try something once and soon begin to develop an addiction rather quickly. Like I always stress to you guys, everyone is different.

There are numerous reasons that scientists, doctors, consulars, and the like have created and thought of in trying to think of why people become addicted to something and why others don't. I have neither the time nor the knowledge to get into all of them so I'm only going to get into a few of them for this post. The ones I'm going to get into are some of the more popular theories and ones that I think seem most realistic. They are genetics, our personal history, our upbringings and the environment(s) we grew up and live in, and our health. So on that note, lets begin guys.

 Genetics

The theory that people can become addicted to something with the influence of genetics has been around for quite some time now and is one that is really debated among those in the addiction community. I don't want to get into arguments or major debates here so I won't really go deep into my beliefs behind the topic other than I am one of the people who believes that genetics can play a role but that there are certainly a lot of other things that do as well, some more than others. Basically the theory behind this is that if you have family or ancestors who were addicted to something, you are more likely to develop an addiction to something at some point of your life. Now this isn't saying that anyone with a family history of addiction will become addicted to something, as many don't, but that there is a chance that one most certainly could become addicted. Then again, there are people, like myself, who have little to no addiction in their family and who grew up with a very good upbringing that become addicted to something. I had a great childhood, came from a relatively wealthy family, finished high school and college, got a job, had good friends, never got in trouble yet still messed up and became addicted (in my case, to Oxycodone).

There has been studies on identical twins from the day in which they were born till the day they die in which doctors studied the effects of addiction on them. The twins were given no special treatment or anything as they lived their lives just like everyone else. The sets of twins were divided into two groups with one group consisting of twins who have a history of addiction in their family while the other group consisted of sets of twins who had no history of addiction in their families. The results found that twins whose families had a history of addiction were more likely to become addicted to something. These studies also showed that if one of the twins became addicted to something in their lifetime, the other twin was also more likely to develop an addiction at some point in their life. There has been numerous other studies involving parents and their children, families as a whole, only-child, children with many siblings, single parent homes, and much more. Some studies come back inconclusive while others appear to tell a lot. In my opinion, I think the topic of genetics playing a role in addiction has a lot of promise but definitely needs more research, time, and effort put into it. I think it is important to note that no one is really born an addict but that they become an addict due to a variety of circumstances. And yes, I realize that there have been cases of babies being born addicted to a drug or withdrawing because their mother used a certain drug while pregnant. I don't know enough about cases such as these other then that they are under much debate as well. I also have a story for you guys about this that I will share later in the post.

It is important to note that there is no gene (at least that scientists know of yet) that makes one become addicted. Rather, when these studies are conducted scientists look to see if those involved in the case study or experiment exhibit common characteristics among one another. For example, if a group of individuals tend to experience a harder time quitting smoking all share a common gene, scientists may speculate that this gene has something to do with it. Another example would be if a group of individuals sharing a common gene had a bad reaction to a certain medication or drug while another group of individuals lacking this gene experienced benefits when taking the same drug or medication. So while having or lacking certain genes won't turn you into a addict, it can determine how vulnerable or invulnerable you are to potentially becoming an addict of something. This is what I want you guys to get out of this post most, that addicts are not created but rather are made over time and experience.

The story I wanted to share with you guys was about a buddy of mine. We are no longer that good of friends anymore as we simply faded away from one another. Our friendship did not end on a bad note and I simply wish the best for him. My buddy was born from a man and a woman who suffered from an addiction to crack cocaine. When the mother gave birth to my friend, the State did not see her fit enough to care for the baby due to her addiction to the crack cocaine. As a little baby, my friend was adopted by a couple who were unable to have children at the time. He would never see his parents again and still hasn't to this day. I don't think he even truly knows where his parents are or if they are even still alive. My friend never drank, smoke, or did any drugs up until his senior year of high school. He used to always joke with us that he was afraid to try drinking or drugs because of his former parent's addiction to the crack cocaine. Well, come senior year of high school, my friend begun drinking on weekends before eventually smoking pot for the first time. Within a few weeks of his first sip of alcohol and first toke of weed, he was smoking pot on a near everyday basis. Next thing I knew, my friend was messing around with the Oxycodone 30 mg pills often and had tried cocaine, mushrooms, LSD, crack, and tobacco. I had never seen someone in my life go from someone who wouldn't even have a sip of booze to someone who was willing to try any drug you put in front of them. All this in a matter of just a few months.

By the Spring of his senior year, he was using the Oxycodone 30 mg pills on a daily basis and had developed quite a habit. He was skipping class, getting arrested, and getting kicked out of his own home. He would throw away all he had accomplished over the years and not graduate high school. In a matter of less than 6 months, he had morphed into what we all feared, a heroin addict. After about a year of his first time getting drunk and high, he was in prison for home invasion and theft. Like I said, I have never seen a drug change someone so much and so quickly. It was really sad and disheartening to see a good friend go down this path. I look back at this and struggle to understand why it didn't stop me from continuing to use the Oxycodone 30 mg pills. I'm just grateful I didn't end up going down the same path as him, but who knows what would have happened to me if I were to not quit and seek help. I tell this story because it really opened my eyes to the possibility that addiction could really be in our blood or in our genes. It also showed me how addiction can get to anyone and how a drug can take such control over a person's life and change them dramatically. Maybe this was an example of that, or maybe it was just a unique situation, I'll probably never know.

There is so much information out there and some of this stuff can be really hard to explain, especially over the computer without writing a 1000 pages of material for you guys to read. Therefore, I am going to post below a few links that I read which seemed real interesting and helpful in talking about the role genetics can play in addiction. I try my best to provide you guys with as much information as I can but I have my limits so please don't shy away from reading these posts or the provided links below. I think it is extremely beneficial for addicts to know as much as they can about both themselves and addiction. The old saying that "knowledge is power" is really great for this situation. Anyways, here are the links to those articles below. The 2nd link (University of Utah) is really good. Check them out, you won't be disappointed.


The Environment Around You

The environment around us also plays a major role in how some people become addicted. When I say environment around us, I am talking about the area we grew up in, the people we grew up around and associate ourselves with, the kind of upbringing we had, the careers we have, and much more. For example, someone who grew up in say a poor, abusive home whose parents used drugs or drank carry a higher risk of developing an addiction. Now, I'm not saying this is the case for everyone as I know people who have had tough upbringings who went on to become very successful and happy people while other people I grew up with who had a great upbringing that turned out addicted to drugs or alcohol living an often unsatisfying life. It's not always the way the you grew up but rather the type of person you are on the inside. But in many cases, the people who grew up without good role models or in a "rough" childhood often do not learn the things they need due to their parents nature or environment they grew up in. There is a book that's been out for quite some time now that is called The Road Less Traveled by Scott Peck, which talks a lot about this among many other things. The book is highly recommended for people who suffer from addiction and is something I'm currently reading. The book isn't the most interesting thing to read but it does have some good stuff in it.

The environment around us also includes the place in which we grew up as well as the area we now spend most our lives in. For example, someone may be more likely to become addicted to cocaine in an area that is notorious for cocaine addiction and dealing. In areas that are more isolated and with not much to do, there has been some evidence that drug use and drinking can be higher in these areas. An example would be a place like Alaska. Once again, not everyone from these places grows up to become an addict as many go on to live nice, successful, and enjoyable lives. Having family, teachers, and those around us to educate us about drugs and drinking at a young age can be very beneficial and this is why programs like D.A.R.E. are viewed as important aspects of a community. Sometimes they work great, other times not so great. Just like people, not every place is the same.

In my opinion, I think the social environment, our upbringings, the people we surround ourselves around (sometimes, not by choice), and the places we spend a majority of our time in all effect the type of person we grow up to be. These aspects can have both positive and negative effects on us and can effect each and every one of us with not just drug addiction, but in many other parts of life as well. Once again, there is a lot of information out there about this kind of stuff, some of it better explained to you by experts than by myself. Here are some links to sites I think can provide you guys with some solid information. The first link is to that book by Scott Peck (The Road Less Traveled) that I mentioned earlier in case anyone is interested in it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/347852.The_Road_Less_Traveled
http://www.thefix.com/content/trauma-and-addiction9180
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/163/7/654.full
http://www.drugrehabtreatmenthelp.com/blog/Reason+for+Addiction+1%3A+Social+Context/


Health


Both our physical and mental health can also play a role in our addictions. Numerous studies have found a link between drug or alcohol addiction with mental illnesses, diseases, or disabilities. I think this is an area that is very deserving of further research and concentration as I believe there are some people out there who are wrongfully imprisoned or looked down upon due to being what many perceive as a good for nothing drug addict. What many do not understand is that there are thousands of people who have mental illnesses that can effect the way they think and act. Many of these people "self medicate" themselves as they find certain drugs or drinking as a way out and something to help them. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of criminals and bad people out there who just like to get high or do other things, but I believe some people with an illness or a disability who are wrongfully put under the same category as these people. It's an issue that has a lot of gray area and is something that I think we as human beings will eventually learn to better cope and deal with. Not even a 100 years ago were people with diseases or mental illnesses imprisoned due to a lack of knowledge and sense of prejudice at the time. Now many of these people (but still not enough) are treated with better care and a better sense of understanding.

Members of the addiction community are now really beginning to learn how many social disorders also can play a role in drug addiction. These disorders can be very apparent like someone with OCD or they might not seem to stand out much such as those with a anxiety disorder or extreme shyness. There's so many disorders out there its nearly impossible to discuss them all. In fact, research has recently shown us that as many as 1 out of every 5 people has some form of mental illness or social disorder. That's a lot of people and it's disheartening to see and hear about those who can't get the help they need and then turn to drugs. Now, I also want to point out that not every addict has a mental illness or social disorder. Some of us are addicts for an entirely different set of reasons and mental health is just one of many factors that can effect whether one develops an addiction. Also, not all people with mental illness or social disorders become addicts. Once again, everyone and their story is different, and this is something we should all respect and really learn to understand.

A high percentage of people with mental disorders are also addicted to drugs of abuse.

A final aspect of our health concerns those who are disabled. Those who are disabled can sometimes be put into very difficult situations. Sometimes, they cannot do certain things, run as fast, jump as high, or lift as much as others among other things. Having a disability can make many feel uncomfortable and subconscious which can lead to these people isolating themselves and/or becoming depressed. These factors, among other things as well, can lead to drug or alcohol addiction. Once again, not everyone who is disabled becomes an addict and there are thousands of disabled individuals who live life to the fullest. Sometimes I see disabled people and am truly amazed at how they have the courage and willpower to do the things they do when I struggle doing things that I often do not realize I am fortunate enough to be doing in the first place. To help you guys get a better picture of what I'm talking about with drug addiction and  it's relation to health, here are a few more links below.


Our Personal History

This section of my post is pretty broad and even covers some of things we just talked about so bear with me. When I say our personal history, I mean everything about us and our past. Our personal history can have a lot to do with not only drug addiction, but the outcome of our lives. For example, research has shown that people who start to use drugs and who use them more often at a younger age than most of their peers, are more likely to develop an addiction. Think about it like this. Think back to when you were a little kid in middle school or high school and think of that kid in your grade who was the wild kid. The kid who was always getting into trouble and who was already drinking and smoking pot by the time they were in the 6th or 7th grade. Every grade has this kid(s). Some of us here may have even been that kid. OK, now try to think where that kid is now and how his life shaped out to be? If you're like me, that kid you went to school with is probably living a pretty shitty life, is homeless, in jail, or even worse, dead. I don't mean to sound like a jerk by saying that, I just want you guys to get the point about what usually (not always) happens to kids like that. Now, sometimes these kids turn their lives around and grow on to be successful, happy people. But many other times, they don't.

The people we grew up around, the things we grew up doing, our likes, our dislikes, our experiences, and virtually every other frigging thing we've done since our first day on this planet has in some way, shape, or form an effect on our lives. I look back at my life and can think of a few things that probably had something to do with me developing an addiction to Oxycodone. I had a lot of friends, some were good kids who never got into trouble and others were, well, the naughty ones. I was always a quiet kid growing up as well so I think that may have had something to do with me liking the Oxycodone. I really liked to just relax and chill by myself. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing my friends and family, but my ideal Friday night was just hanging out, watching a movie or playing a video high as a kite off of Oxyocodne and weed. But that's just me and my story. I also have a disease that I've had nearly my whole life which causes me some pain, discomfort, and which makes me subconscious sometimes as well. I believe this may have made me look to the Oxycodone high as a quick and easy way out of reality. I'm sure you guys have your own thoughts on what you think may have had some impact on you developing your addiction to opiates.

Conclusion 

Talking with a consular and doctor can really help a lot in you getting to know yourself and more about your addiction. Believe me, I thought the whole talking to a consular thing was a bunch of B.S. and a waste of time. I absolutely hated every minute of it at first. But over time, I really did learn some stuff and it actually started to feel good being able to vent my emotions and problems to someone. I was also never really big into learning about addiction and the way it affects the body and mind until, well, I was someone experiencing it. There's so much information out there on this stuff and still so much more to have yet to be fully understood. I can only recommend to you guys that you really take a step back and look deep inside yourselves to learn who you truly are. I know I probably sound like a whack job talking like that but I'm dead serious. I'm still early into recovery but now have over 4 months under my belt with the help of Suboxone and my support network. I'm not going to lie, some days I feel great and really confident in the direction I'm going in. Other days, I feel like shit and want to get high really, really, really, really bad. I haven't cracked yet though and that's something I can say I'm proud of.

I hope this post was really helpful and interesting for you guys. I know it's a lot of information to read and digest. I also know that the links I added result in even more information to read. I'm not a teacher and I'm not someone who expects you to do all this reading in one night, or even ever. Take whatever you want from it. I'd like to dedicate the comment section of this post for you guys to post or talk about any information you have in regards to the topic of this post. Also, feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions in regards to this post or the blog as a whole if you wish. I will always answer back to you guys ASAP. Also check out the applications I have at the bottom of the page and vote on the new poll I just installed. I think the poll can be pretty fun for all of us to hear what everyone thinks. Until next post my friends, take care and be well. Keep seeing the light, you won't regret it.

Take Care,

Seeingthelight


1 comment:

  1. Beberapa Cara Memenangkan Permainan Sabung Ayam Online Klik Di Sini

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya http://www.bakarayam.co

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://bakarayam33033.blogspot.com/2018/08/panduan-memperkokoh-pukulan-ayam-pada.html/

    ReplyDelete